A home-worker’s resolutions
I originally formulated this as a blog post, but I think it needs to go on the permanent record here on the web bit of the site!
As I move into full self-employment, I feel there are a few goals I need to have in order to maintain my sanity / ability to live in society. I’m only being a bit tongue-in-cheek here. As a classic introvert, I recharge by being on my own. I’m good at motivating myself, and hard-working. But I need to do these things. And maybe more! If you have any ideas to add, please post a comment!
I added some when I’d been solely working from home for four months and talked about them in this blog post.
A home-worker’s resolutions (introvert version)
- I will get out of the house every day, in daylight if humanly possible
- I will speak to someone other than myself and my partner/housemate/spouse/parent/child/sibling [delete as applicable: I want to be inclusive here!] every day, even if it’s just an email conversation (but I’ll try to make it a face-to-face conversation)
- On at least 4 out of 5 weekdays I will eat a proper lunch. By a “proper lunch” I mean something that has more than one food group, and some fruit and/or vegetables, and is not constituted primarily of cereal
- This lunch will be consumed by 2 p.m., every day, at absolute latest
- I will leave the phone alone at mealtimes
- I will wash up and reuse my mug. I will not use all of the mugs in the house in one or two days
- I will go to an event outside the house at least once a week: networking, meeting a fellow freelancer friend for lunch etc. This does not include social occasions with friends or aforementioned partner/housemate/whatever
- I will keep up with my friends’ doings
- I will endeavour to stop work at 7 in the evening, and at midday at the weekends (unless I have urgent projects to complete)
- I will spend more time with my aforementioned partner/spouse/whatever.
- I will spend at least a little time every day doing something I love (that’s not my job, which I may well love too)